Monday, January 14, 2008

Orientation & Torgome

So I haven't written in awhile but we were kept very busy during orientation and it wasn't that interesting anyway. Here's the summary of five days of lectures:
1) Take your anti-malarial pills.
2) Tro-tros (the local buses) are a no-no.
3) Minimal lessons in Twi (a local language).
4) Don't use your left hand.
5) Fear everything and everyone.
I have to say orientation was awful! I am not oriented in the sense that I can get around even my neighborhood, let alone the city, they made it seem like we should be afraid instead of careful, and most of the lectures were things we should be learning in class instead of during our first week in Ghana.

With that said, I'm loving it here. Ghanaians are very friendly people, I like most of the people in the programs, I can't wait to start classes (I start tomorrow), and I'm even more excited to work in one of the local schools (we get our placements this week). Dealing with the volunteer aspect has been a struggle though. I am somewhat unclear of my role as an ambassador from a first world country. What are my responsibilities as a US citizen? And as a minority from the US? I think it is naive and imperialistic to say that I came here to make a difference and change things. I did not come here to save Africa. Africa does not need white Americans thinking they should come here to rescue them. I came here to witness, and hopefully be apart of, small changes that will hopefully lead to an internal, large-scale change (among many other reasons). That's why I chose to work in a school; I am ecstatic to have the opportunity to witness the future of Africa and to hope that these kids may one day have the same opportunities I have been lucky enough to have. These are just a few thoughts I, and a few of the other participants, have been wrestling with.

On to Torgome...

Torgome is a small village about an hour outside of Accra that we visited on Saturday. Upon arrival, we greeted the chief and elders of the village, took our sits, and prayed. Then there was a lot of dancing, they even made us dance! It proved that most white people can't dance! We then participated in a naming ceremony were we received our African names, a beaded bracelet, and a pot with both our given names and our African names. My African name is Adzo Mawufemor; Adzo means girl born on monday and Mawufemor means God's will.

We were each assigned to a adopted family who gave us our names and gifts and often blessed us. NYU returned the favor by bringing 500 Ghana cedis (about $500) to be donated to the school and each student brought school supplies for the children. After this ceremony, we broke up into groups for activities including Kente weaving (a traditional Africa weaving), pottery making, and fishing. I watched both the Kente weaving and pottery making.


Though the ceremony and activities were very interesting, the best part of the visit was the children. The kids of the village were so excited to be with us. Many of them came and sat on our laps, held our hands and just wanted our love and attention. They were also fascinated with our cameras. One girl took so many pictures with my camera, half of them of my wrist or the back of someones shirt. They also loved having their picture taken and then seeing it. Spending time the kids was amazing. Though when we were leaving, one girl grabbed my leg and followed me onto the bus, saying "take me with you" and wouldn't leave the bus until one of the men came and carried her out.





I am still very unsure how I feel about the trip. At times, I felt voyeuristic and like they were the fish bowl we all stared at. When I learned that we payed an large fee for this trip, I was even more confused. On one hand, the village needs the money and I'm happy to give it to them . On the other, I don't know how I feel about paying such services (being welcomed into a village, given a family, and being honored that way).

After the village trip, we went hiking to some bat caves in the wildlife reserve park. It was a small hike but we got to see where a tribe had once live in a cave. We also say baboons driving a tractor! Not really, but they were sitting in it like they wanted to drive it. The day was both exciting and tiring but the experience was once in a lifetime.


Yesterday, we had brunch as a group and watched a dance troop perform local dances. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so I don't have pictures. The dance group teaches lessons in African dance and drumming that I'm interested in!

Mom, stop reading here.

Oh, I'm leaving out a very important aspect of Ghanaian life: the night life! We went out almost every night this week, making our 8 am departures tough... but tia (this is Africa)! We went to a local bar, After 1, where the beers are cheap and the facilities are definitely not what we're used to... there's no roof and the bathroom is a dark corner with a bucket! We also went to a reggae night at Labadi beach and saw much of the local rasta culture. The men here are persistent to say the least. I've been proposed to almost every night. But for the most part, they are very friendly and get the picture if you are bothered by them. On thursday, our CRA's took us to a bar with live music and dancing and we had a blast! And saturday night we went to a club, Next Door, with live music and dancing as well. It's very fun meeting people, dancing, and experience the night life. (Oh and don't worry all, I'm always careful and make responsible choices.)

Well, more later....

No comments: